[Westwales] Re: [Westwales]Generic 56K modem

John Richards westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 23 18:29:02 2003

> Maybe an irq problem, is there jumpers on the modem?
> Mine runs on ttyS2 but i have to change the irq from 4 to 3 with
> "setserial irq 3 "

(later changed to - "setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 3")

> perhaps something like that is the problem
> cheers
> Jon

This looks promising. Thank you. Though I would imagine in my case it would
be "setserial /dev/ttyS3  . . . " - since Win98 and XP both recognise the
modem as set to COM4. But trying changing the IRQ number does look a likely
idea.

I am certainly not going to change any jumpers on the modem card. It is
working perfectly at present with both Win98 and XP. If I start changing
jumpers I shall probably end up with no working modem configuration at all!!

Where do you make this "setserial" change? In the Console it is rejected.
"Setserial" is not a recognised command, though "set serial . . . " was
accepted. Or does it need to be programmed into LILO or some such file? If
so where does this reside? I can't find it in any directory.

Incidentally, it is definitely not a Winmodem. I know they do not normally
work with Linux.

Best wishes

John