[Westwales] Modems and filesystem formats

Jon Pearse westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 12 12:54:00 2003

Hi,

  Coupla questions here:
  1) Having just acquired a new modem (eventually) -and- got it
working under MacOS X (this is harder than it looks on an old
machine like mine), I decided to boot up into Linux and try to get
it working there. The internet connection wizard in YDL3 (Sirius)
doesn't find the moment, but does give me a list of choices for
various /dev addresses. How do I find out which address to use for
the modem. It's worth pointing out that hardware browser doesn't
detect the modem either.

  2) I'm running Linux on my PowerMac G3, on which all the other
drives are HFS+ (MacOS Extended) format which YDL can't read/write
to - thus meaning I effectively have two computers that I have to
use my zip drive to transfer stuff between (ugh). I know that
there's a kernel update that supports this, and while I was at uni I
downloaded it along with the kernel source (all 26 megs of it -
thank god for high-speed connections), applied the patch,
reconfigured the kernel, compiled it and *wham* It fails to compile
due to something-or-other being missing.
  Now I know that I'm probably the only Mac Linux user (if that makes
sense) on this mailing list, but has anyone else had this problem
whilst recompiling the kernel, and does anyone know how I can get
solve it.

  Thanks

-Jon

http://www.jonpearse.net - http://users.aber.ac.uk/jnp2
       jon@jonpearse.net - jnp2@aber.ac.uk

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.