[Westwales] Shwmae pawb / Hello everyone

John Beisley john.beisley at lineone.net
Thu Apr 1 09:54:02 BST 2004

Jon Pearse wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Concerning web design, I quite often use my Linux box for web design -
> kwrite is one of the best text editors I've used in a while - without
> any problems at all. The only exception to the rule is anything to do
> with graphics, because I do them in Photoshop. That said, the GIMP is
> supposedly very good (I've not tried). Certainly, if you're doing any
> server-side stuff, Linux is far easier and better than Windows.
>   As for video editing - I can't help noticing that the feature in the
> current issue of Linux Format is about that very subject...
>
>   Put it this way, I'm a Mac user, and I'm forever being told that Macs
> "can't do" something I've been doing for a couple of years. The more I
> sit down and actually -use- Linux (sadly not very often these days), the
> more I find the same to be true. Now, if Adobe would release Photoshop
> for Linux... ;)
>
> -Jon

Hi,

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if photoshop would run under WINE (I
know that WINE is a contraversial issue with some Linux people who want
native programs, but the possibility is there).

GIMP is a good graphical editor and its what I use for webpages, but I'm
not an artist so I couldn't say how well it would suit one. Many people
doing graphics on Linux are still using photoshop, so I guess they
prefer it over GIMP. However GIMP v2 came out recently which might be
worth a try. I believe that it now has more colour model support (which
should please the arty types) and generally has improved.

- John