[Westwales] A Meeting Perhaps?

David Goodwin dof at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 17:38:34 BST 2004

> Good call Bryn. My initial feelings would be that a meeting should take
> part either on a weekday early evening (for food and drink) as this
> plan seems to work well for SWLUG. As for location, Somewhere quiet,
> food available, space for a goodly amount of people to get around a
> table or similar seating arrangement, isn't called Wetherspoons.
>
> Are we looking for weekly/bi-weekly/monthly meetings ? again SWLUG mets
> weekly but they alternate from Swansea to Cardiff each week.

Just to dip my oar in, even though I'm not in Aber any longer (I'm now a
Brummie....:( )

The Wolves Lug (http://www.wolveslug.org.uk) (who also do the lug radio
stuff) meet fortnightly in a curry house. The venue was chosen because -
a) They don't mind noise
b) They are open nearly 24/7, so staying late drinking is fine
c) The curry house is a bring your own booze (although they do sell too)
d) The food is cheap (6:50 for a meal+starter+dessert).

The South Birmingham Lug meets monthly in Birmingham Uni's computer
science department, although it doesn't seem to have very many u/grad
members.

Both Lugs are totally different - Wolves is informal, swearing, boozing
and if you're lucky they'll talk about Linux before 10:30-11pm (this is
normally when I leave to get my beauty sleep). Linux talk seems to be
initiated by drink in my experience with this crowd ;)

South Birmingham on the other hand is very formal, and has a talk of
some sorts every meeting. (This evening ESR is giving something). On the
occasions we've tried to get them into a curry house, it's failed quite
miserably and only 4-5 people have turned up.

The Wolves LUG mailing list is very active (90-100 messages per day is
not unusual) while the south birmingham mailing list is quite inactive
(perhaps 5-10 per day on a good day).

So... perhaps my point is that all LUGS are different, and just because
SWLUG works doesn't necessarily mean WWLUG will....

Anyway time to go home,

Is anyone going to the Linux Expo thing in Olympia ? I'll be there on
the IBM stand on the second day.... (assuming I get this DB2 cluster
working!)

Have fun all, were I in Aber I'd be voting for a curry house or similar
with a side room (or upstairs?)

David.

--
David Goodwin