[Westwales] no-ip, no-clue

Huw Evans huw at abersoundproductions.ltd.uk
Fri Aug 27 11:47:37 BST 2004

Hi all
I've been messing about with setting up a web server, using Debian (as
recommended by you clever people!)  I'm impressed by how easy it was to
get it all running.  I'm configuring it through SSH on my laptop so I'm
having to learn how to do it all the hard way.  I've set up a free
account with no-ip.com so that I can mess with it from home as well (my
girlfriend's going to kill me...) and followed this (rather patronising)
guide to setting it up:
http://www.no-ip.com/tips.php/id/13

It installed painlessly and registered my current IP address.  I then
reset the router to force a change of IP, and rebooted the server to
check if it did what it said on the tin, and it doesn't :-(

The server is connected to the outside world via a D-link broadband
modem/router.  I've been using a dial-up connection on the laptop to get
an outside connection to test the setup.  On logging-in to the no-ip
website it shows the IP address I had before resetting the
router/re-booting the server.  I don't know how to check whether the
no-ip client is being started on boot-up cos I'm clueless, and having
been up most of the night playing with the whole thing I'm lacking the
will to trawl the internet trying to work it out....

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Cynhyrchiadau Sain Aber Cyf / Aber Sound Productions Ltd
Ystwyth Works, Llanfarian, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 4NN.

www.abersoundproductions.ltd.uk