[Westwales] Dual Boot?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jul 29 16:09:08 BST 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:55:38AM +0000 or thereabouts, Robert Savage wrote:
> Fedora Core was installed first and used 'grub' as the boot loader, Mandrake
> 10 was then installed and then the fun started. Neither distribution will
> recognise the other's partitions so I can't make the system dual boot.
> modifying grub and adding Mandrake's root and boot directory results in a
> message: Error 23: Error while parsing number.....

I don't know for sure. But is this related to a partitioning bug
which was common a while back?

I know that it received a lot of publicity when some Fedora Core 2
users suddenly found their Windows partitions unbootable after
installing FC2. Because it's a 2.6 kernel issue it has also been
reported on SuSE 9.2 and on Mandrake 10.

What I don't know is whether it makes other OSs on a dual-boot
system fail, or just Windows.

Making Fedora Core 2 and Windows play well together
http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/

NTFS Resize Frequently Asked Questions
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
..and notes on this bug in particular.
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#troubleshoot

This is completely a shot in the dark, because I don't think
I've ever seen anyone suggest it affects non-Windows partitions.

Telsa