[Westwales] Re: aber open relay? (was Re:MDK 10.0 Shutdown)

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Wed Sep 1 20:19:51 BST 2004

> Ahha, that makes sense. Albeit quite a nasty policy by the RBLs in
> question.

The guy who ran Osirusoft said that he got huge amounts of network traffic
related to the black-hole and that just 'turning it off' wouldn't make
people 'fix' their clients by removing the black hole reference.

> Cheers John. I honestly didn't expect RBLs to just close and/or dissappear.

Well you can blame the spammers and the trojan bot-nets out there.
Dorkslayers, SPEWS, Osirusoft, Spamhaus and the others were subjected to
massive DDOS attacks last year (the presumed culprits being spammers) and
I'm pretty sure that was the reason that Osirusoft closed down (as well as
some of the others, though not sure which ones) - as a lone guy running a
free service he didn't have the time, energy and resources to deal with
it.

Cheers,

John