[Westwales] Thanks for the welcome to list

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 12:25:39 GMT 2005

Let me introduce myself.
I am retired , live in Harlech well away from your LUG, also Bangor, memai,
Chester and Preston LUGs.
I started dabbling in IT in 1960 with Fortran-2 on STRETCH super computer
all 98k RAM, 96k available to user.
Input was FORM->80 column IBM cards. Program run overnight and fails because
brackets don't match!
Then it was in IBM -360 Direct imput IBM cards then transfered to magnetic
tape, you could just about process 6,000 records in 8 hours. I used a cobol
program that I "modified".

I came to work at Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station as a professional Health
Physicist, one who used the public's irrational fears of everything nuclear
to make a good living!
I first found Linux as a CD with RedHat 5 at a charity shop in the mid 90s
and did dual boot with 98.
Then RH7 and then SuSe 8.3 home (PC works sale boxed set £9.99).
Then I bought SuSe 9.1 pro and this year got the 9.3 pro version ( Cost me
all of USD 15 including P&P!)
Broadband came to this area in July.
I prefer SuSe Linux to X (Have 3 PCs networked, 98se. Xp, and dual boot XP/SuSE.)
Have had no major problems with dual and even triple boot, but I do have
a copy of Partition Magic 8.0 which makes it very easy.
I am trying to encourage the reuse of scrap heap PCs using Linux for entry
level computing.
I have run SuSe 9.1 pro on a 200 P1 MMX ok.
Hope to meet up with you someday.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
with daily updates.

Unlimited Tiscali Broadband from 14.99!