[Westwales] Linux with XP

Michael Sheldon webmaster at mikeasoft.com
Thu Apr 20 19:24:56 BST 2006

> Soooooo, on a scale of 1 to ohshitohshitohshit! How
> safe is it to install, frinstance, Mandriva, with XP? Answers before eight O'clock
> to-morrow morning would be nice (I live on the edge!)

 I can't speak specifically for Mandriva as I haven't used it, but most
distributions will happily coexist with XP. Some require more effort
than others (e.g. some might not like resizing NTFS partitions, in which
case you might want to use something like PartitionMagic first). But my
main suggestion would be to try and get a machine setup with XP that you
can test with, without fear of screwing things up. Most problems with
installation are just caused by a lack of familiarity with the way the
installer and partitioner work.

 If you're reasonably familiar with repartitioning drives, you'll
probably be able to pick things up almost instantly without a problem.
But I'd still recommend having a go with a test machine first if you're
not in a position to be able to restore the machines yourself.

 Cheers,
  Mike.

--
Michael Sheldon