[Westwales] Linux with XP

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 19:34:51 BST 2006

You will find that dual boot is easy if you have:-
1/ A copy of Partition Magic or Partition Commander. Pm-5 or later, I use
PM-8.
2/ A full installation set, not live of SuSe Linux 9.3 or 10.

But of course you can try it first with suSe Live to see how you get on.
In this case you don't do anything to the WinXp set up.
 try http://www.linuxISO.co.uk for the 5 cds or look up "cheap linux," or
TUX-CDs.
The 5 Cds should cost you all of a tenner for the lot.
Defrag your XP system first, all versions of Windows have their own defrag.
First you have to shrink the Win xp partition to leave 4 .5 gig unallocated
(free) Ideally 8.5 Gig if you  have the room.
You can't do this with FDisk, you loose the data.
You should back up the XP (the whole drive, just in case, I never do, I just
back up my saved work, which I keep in a separate Windows partition.)
If you can boot from the CD/DVD run Partition Magic from the Cd/DVd. If not
install it on the XP partition.
Use it to shrink the XP partition to leave at least 4.5 gig free.
In the 4.5 gig (or more if you can spare it) create an extended partition.
Note XP or DOs will no longer see this partition!
In this extended partition create a 500 meg Linux swap partition, logical.
Leave the 4 gig or more unallocated.
Warning: Don't leave a huge part unallocated, Linux will hog it all.
Check that win xp still works.
Shutdown, stick SuSe CD #1 in the cd and start up.
It will give you a menu. select Install.
Just follow oprders (its German!) and stick in CDs 2  to 5 as asked for)
Remember the root password when you create it!
Let it finish and reboot and you should find GRUB boot loader with SuSe Linux,
Windows, Failsafe and floppy options.

The onlyproblem that I have found is that with some very old Pcs the mouse
isn't set up automatically.

Solution.
Alt + F2  type in YAST  alt+ Underlined letter in menu.
Type inRoot password.
Tab and arrow keys to sget to hardware, mouse, select nearest model and port
, ie serial, aux, USB, Ps2, test, accept and you should have it up and running
OK.
SuSe sets up KDE desktop, just like Win 3.1 Only SINGLE CLICK.
This can be altered to double click later.
Explore YAST   (System , Yast, root password) Online Updates, new users,
boot order, security, it does everything.

You will find Openoffice 2.0   Ms office Pro and it creates PDFs.
Pdf reader too, Noteedit music editor, Cd/DVD player/burner, Firefox, you
can also download Opera browser for free.
If installing software try to get software.name.number.rpm not tar.gz
rpms install by clicking on them.... window Install with YAST.... yes...
root password.... and the most that seems to go wrong is that you are asked
for the set up cd #1, 2,3, and or 5, and it just grabbs the files it needs
without you doing anything...

Really its just so much easier than reinstalling a working XP system.
SuSe should be up and run ing in about an hour.
Xp takes 40 mins then another 30 for Sp-2 then Ms office Pro, Nero, Photoshop
Pro, anti-virus, firewall etc.  GIMP is the Photoshop clone. And then you
have to search for all the driver disks.
SuSe sticks in its own drivers for everythin but the latest Video cards and
odd equipment.
For scanners you need to know the Proper manufacturer, not Dixons or PC worlds
own rebrands.
Usually on tiny plate/label on back rather then big letters on front.

SuSe does have a built in firewall and basic virus protection but go to www.f-prot.com
and get the .rpm of f-prot for Linux its free for private use.

Look for updates weekly again via YAST.

I have a boxed set of SuSe Linux 8.3 home with the two thick books if you
want it, just pay postage.
I live in Harlech. Its a very old version.
I also have an old version of Knoppix (live)  which I could stick in the
box.
I just buy the bare cds now. The books are about three inches thick and that
version only comes with one CD.
You can get SuSe 9.3 pro or 10.0 from DABs with the two books for about £65
including postage.
I presume you can also get it from Novell too.
 My phone 01766 780 665 if you get stuck.

see also http:// www.harlech.cymru.org    Linux in Harlech. There are a few
useful links.

For a better guide to dual boot and triple boot see if your library can get:

UBERHACKER-II, more ways to break into Computers; by Carolyn Meinel.

This also has the instructions on how to install program.something.tar.gz
files.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
or F-prot for Linux with daily updates.

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!