[Westwales] Linux with XP

Matthew Bennett mwb3 at aber.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 19:44:25 BST 2006

Pax wrote:
> Soooooo, on a scale of 1 to
> ohshitohshitohshit! How
> safe is it to install, frinstance, Mandriva, with XP? Answers before eight
> O'clock
> to-morrow morning would be nice (I live on the edge!)

Ummm... I'd go for the safe option - use knoppix. Unless you really want
the students to use it (which, being an English College, I doubt that's
your intention) knoppix is best for odd jobs. You won't be able to write
(easily) to NTFS, but you will be able to use compilers etc. And if you
need other apps, you can always roll your own live cd.

Or, possibly, using cygwin might be better for you. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I believe Cygwin circumvents the NTFS problems.

But if you're the IT admin, why don't you have access to the WinXP CDs?

Matthew