[Westwales] Over Secure?

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Thu Feb 2 04:59:39 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:14:32PM +0000, Robert Savage wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction regarding permissions on a dual
> boot system?
>
> I've put together a new system and installed Windows 2000 and Suse Linux
> 10.00.  Fine, it dual boots nicely and Suse 10.0 seems like a nice OS, I was
> impressed with the way it installed.  The general idea is to use Linux for
> e-mail/web connection and put all downloaded files in a common 'Download'
> directory on one of the Windows partitions so that both operating systems
> have access to it.  However Suse Linux 10.0 has other ideas and won't allow
> me to write to the windows directory.  I have set the partition to rw in
> fstab,  set it as shared in Windows,  set it as shared in Linux...but I still
> can't write to it.  I now feel Suse 10.0 is far too  secure for its own
> good :-)
>
> Now one of you very knowledgable guys may be able to give me the
> answer to
> this problem so that I can use the new system in the same way I use
> Windows
> XP and Mandrake 10.1 on this older machine.
>
> Regards
>
> Bob

 Is the Windows partition formatted as NTFS? The Linux kernel only has
very limited NTFS write support (and at that only enabled by default in
the very latest releases). Full NTFS support can be achieved through the
use of CaptiveNTFS ( http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/ ),
which is a wrapper around the Windows NTFS driver.

 If it's not an NTFS partition (or you have full NTFS write support)
make sure you have the "users" option in your fstab entry for that
partition, otherwise only root will be able to mount and write to it.

Cheers,
 Mike

--
Michael Sheldon