[Westwales] Submission request

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Mon May 1 02:16:11 BST 2006

> - in /etc/fstab on each client, mount the home directories from the
> server onto the client user's home directories. It will look something like:
> 	server:/home/fred  /home/fred  nfs  defaults  0  0

If you're going to have a lot of users or want something more automated,
you could look at using autofs here instead of specifically calling out
each user in /etc/fstab.

> There are other ways of achieving what you want, so I'm not going to
> pretend my way is the best. In particular, LDAP (or NIS) will avoid the
> need to create all the accounts on every PC;

LDAP's reasonably easy to set up via PAM - there were some good HOWTOs
knocking around when I last did it.  It's worth noting that the other
thing that LDAP or NIS will give you conveniences such as changing
passwords - if you have the accounts replicated on each machine then if a
user changes their password it will only be changed on that machine - if
they sit down at a different one next time they'd have to use their old
password.  Of course this may be a complete non-issue for your situation.

Cheers,

John