[Westwales] Windows 1: Linux 0

Dan Field dof at llgc.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 15:10:11 BST 2007

On 4 Oct 2007, at 14:14, Kat Goodwin wrote:

>>> The very same. I think we sourced them in a spot of skip diving
>>> in about
>>> 1997/8 didn't we ?
>>>
>> Quite likely - mine was sourced from someone (perhaps Ferret?) a few
>> months later, if I remember correctly.
>> Mine performed quite well as a juke box / alarm clock controller /
>> mail
>> terminal and irc window ...  until SWMBO decided I had too much
>> stuff...
> It would have to have been 1999/2000 as it was definitely in the St
> Marys days - we'd never have fitted one into our Trefloyne room(s)!
>
> And thankfully we've managed to stop the house looking like the
> place where old hardware comes to die. :-)

Yes It's amazing what you can do with a netgear router (no need for
old pentiums with multiple NICs and Wireless cards in adhoc mode),
and a powerful Apple (Windows, UNIX, Apple goodness all-in-one).

Now the office looks like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/396322795_68466f1643.jpg?v=0

instead of this:

Well I went looking for a photo of the server room in the old house
in Borth but I failed to find one on the web (probably for the best).

Imagine if you will, a DEC 5000 (ex llgc), several Sun 3/60s (ex
aber.ac.uk), some DEC VT-320s (ex aber.ac.uk), an IBM Netfinity 5000
(8U rackmount job) 3 3Com switches, a variety of intel boxen all
racked up on some DIY metal shelving.

Even after a clearout like that, I still get grief from the wife-to-
be for having too many toys!

--
Dan Field <dof at llgc.org.uk>                   Ffôn/Tel. +44 1970 632 582
Datblygwr Systemau                                     Systems Developer