[Westwales] Windows 1: Linux 0

Robert Savage bob at ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 3 12:44:12 BST 2007

Phil Bettinson wrote:
> And Back to the original point (hidden somewhere in a lot of
> grumbling.... =) )
>
> SATA And RAID.
>
> If you did happen to want mirroring onto the second disk, remember
> that with some versions of linux (definately with Fedora), you get
> software RAID. This will allow you to use linux to mirror a partition
> over onto your other disk (eg home, or, if you like, all of it).
>
> My work box had the same problem. The "onboard" Sata RAID was only
> accessible through windows-only drivers, so in the end I simply
> created some software raid to mirror my system over the two drives.
>
> I note you've solved the problem, but I thought I'd wade even, even if
> I was late.
>
> ~Phil

No problem Phil, all contribution welcome no matter how late.

System is now working as I wanted with just a single drive, of which
only 50Gb of the 250GB is now used so I'll probably format the rest
with NTFS  and use it a a 'vault'.  : -)

I have set up the external modem and kppp, but when I connect to my ISP
Firefox and the mail clients keep looking at the internal local network
instead of the modem.  If I disable the eth0 device (Broadcom onboard
NIC) then they connect to the ISP with no problem.   How do I kick them
in the right direction?

Don't remember having this problem with Windows but then no one with a
modicum of intelligence would connect to the internet using that OS.  :-)

Cheers
Bob