[Westwales] Windows 1: Linux 0

Robert Savage bobsavage at ukfsn.org
Fri Sep 28 09:17:51 BST 2007

During an idle moment I assessed the noise coming from my main "Admin"
machine and decided that as it resembled a distant vacuum cleaner, that
together with its rather slow performance it was time to liven it up and
quieten it down.

Having never tried SATA drives I ordered a couple of 250GB ones (they
hadn't got anything smaller in stock) and decided I would create a RAID
array and have that as the only HD system in the machine.  The ABIT M/B
was suitably equipped for such a setup so I first installed Windows
2000, pressing F6 and offering it the HighPoint driver floppy disk when
requested to do so.  Windeeze charged away and installed itself quite
happily, initially using the whole 500GB array for itself.  On reboot
the system seemed impressively quicker and certainly a lot quieter so
the next task was to install Linux Mandriva 2007 Spring Free from a
Linux Format DVD.  I used the excellent partitioner to shrink the
Windows partition down to  20GB, gave it a couple of 20 GB partitions to
play with and created a 10GB Linux partition for Madriva.  All went in
OK and boot up selection was set for MBR.  On reboot I got the message
"Grub loading.......  Error 18" and it stopped dead.  I reinstalled the
whole thing and it still failed to boot.  I tried the Mandriva 'Rescue'
function on the disk,  waste of time couldn't get into anything useful
to check anything, there didn't seem to be a /boot  directory.

Ah So!,  as they say somewhere in the world, try another
distribution.......I did that,  Ubuntu 7.04 (on the same DVD), this
didn't recognize the RAID array and treated both drives as separate
drives no point trying that one then........Gentoo 2007.0....again
failed to boot and the latest test was with Fedora 7 which again
couldn't  boot up.  Gave up and bought some ear plugs.  :-)

My conclusions from all this is that SATA drives are only any use as a
secondary RAID array when the main O/S is installed on a normal IDE
drive.   Am I right in this thinking or do later motherboards handle
SATA differently?  What is Error 18 anyway?

Cheers All

Bob