[Westwales] Windows 1: Linux 0

Colin Sauze colinsauze at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:08:00 BST 2007

David Goodwin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Right, my understanding of the whole 'motherboard raid' is that it's
> normally actually software raid based - hence the need for drivers. Were
> it hardware based, you'd have some BIOS like utility to create the RAID
> device, and there would be no need for drivers.
>

> I suspect that if you setup a RAID array under Windows it may not be
> compatible with a similar RAID 1 array under Linux (I could be wrong
> here! I've only ever used hardware RAID when using both OSs).
>
> However, why can't you partition each SATA disk, and use those
> partitions as the foundation for your RAID device?

If you do this, can grub/lilo boot off it? This would require them to be
aware of software raid, especially in RAID 0 configurations. I've setup
a few raid systems and always had a small OS or /boot partition which
wasn't raided and then a big raid partition for all my data. This wastes
a small amount of space on the second drive and means you loose the
advantages of raid on that boot partition.