[Westwales] Failing Memory.....

Robert Savage bobsavage at ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 9 11:26:24 UTC 2008

No not the computer ... me!

Time I breathed some life into this LUG with an ancient problem.

I have an old machine on my bench (AMD 800MHz....coo) with Mandriva 2007
installed on it plus Win2k.  The sound card works fine in Win2k and the
machine shuts down and powers off without problem.

However in Mandriva with ACPI enabled the sound is absent and the
machine shuts down.  With ACPI disabled the sound works but the  machine
won't power off, just shuts down the HD and sits there needing the power
button to be held in to switch off the power.

This I seem to  remember is an old problem from the earlier days but I'm
hanged if I can remember the cure.  Can any of you very clever chaps
remember the fix?

Bob Savage