[Wiltshire] Mythtv actually seeming to work ;-).

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Aug 4 12:12:29 BST 2008

On Mon, August 4, 2008 11:29 am, Simon Iremonger wrote:

> I installed ubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 on a machine here, with the right
>    sort of DVB-T ('freeview') TV cards, and installed the included
>    Mythtv 0.21 package and it actually works ;-).

Congrats!  Did you install ubuntu + packages, or MythBuntu?  I've not sure
what the difference is, but I was under the impression that MythBuntu was
pretty simple :-)

(I've have MythTv running on Gentoo for a few years now)

> Apparently this version of mythtv will let you watch more
>    than 1 channel on the same multiplex on the right sort
>    of card.  These CX23881 kworld/vstream cards seem to
>    work well but you can't seem to get them new any-more!

Ah yes, multirec is great!  I've got two DVB-S cards (Satellite), which
each card set to record up to 3 channels at once - so I have 6 "virtual"
tuners.

The satellite transponders are quite nicely setup in that {BBC1,2,3,4},
{ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4}, {C4, FilmFour, E4} are on the same multiplex.  So
I could record all the BBC channels with one card and all the ITV channels
with the other.

If only there were some programs worth watching!

> Also I have remote-control working, using a reciever that
>    inserts codes in the PS2 keyboard/mouse ports,  and
>    I can use a simple script using commands like
>    'setkeycodes e011 67  #mute=f9'  in order to set the
>    scan-codes to act like the correct keys (both in
>    Console and X11) in a nice application-independant
>    fashion, that does not need me to setup 'LIRC' at all ;-).
>
> But there you go... ;-)

Hmm.  I have a working lirc installation, but even though I set it up, I'm
not really sure how it works - it just does ;-)

Robert.