[Wiltshire] Synaptic Broken in PCLinuxOS

Simon Sanders sanders at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 23:00:42 BST 2008

Can anyone help/advise, please?

I'm running PCLinuxOS and I was getting concerned that I haven't seen any
upgrades for the past 5 or 6 weeks, so I took a look at the Synaptic settings
and found there was just one non-free vendor listed in the repositories. I
fiddled with the list (can't remember exactly what I did) and now I can't get
access to anything.

When I try to Edit => Reload Package Information I get 2 dialog boxes. The
upper box states

"Could not download all repository indexes. The repository might be no longer
available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available
an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository
will be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing of the
repository address in the preferences." followed by an accessible list box.

When I close this dialog box, the second dialog box states:

"The following problems were found on your system:" and, in a list box:

"E: Vendor block FingerPrint is invalid
E: Vendor block Name is invalid
E: The list of sources could not be read."

I get this same second dialog box when I try Settings => Repositories

I can't find any web-based guidance via Google. Can anyone point me at a
swolution or should I simply re-install the whole lot?

Simon Sanders
Salisbury