[Wiltshire] Supporting Linux

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Apr 12 16:20:45 UTC 2009

On Sunday 12 Apr 2009, John Larkworthy wrote:

> They live in Highworth and have decided that the old computer they have
running Windows ME might be OK with Linux so have tried installing PCLinuxOS
but can't get the screen resolution sorted. They particularly need word
processing - their daughter is going to use it for school work.
> Could they ask for someone to visit and help them through the installation
of the OS and OpenOffice.org?

> John.

Well, it has to be said that yes, I've been known to go out and help people
get set up.

One is a friend of my wife's in Wroughton who has been happily running Kubuntu
Hardy for a good while now, the other person is somebody who lives out at
Chiseldon who needed help getting rid of an XP only USB ADSL modem by
configuring a proper router that I helped him choose in town a few days
before.

I'd like to think that anybody we help would then assist the Linux movement by
passing on the good word to friends and helping them in turn.

Dave

--

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763