[Wiltshire] August meeting

Mike Paglia mike.paglia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:16:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have been using the Internet since 1993 when I started an ISP called
Interalpha which then became Mistral Internet based in Brighton. IPV6 as you
state has indeed been around for sometime. ISP's including
Interalpha/Mistral did in fact take IPV6 up but initially over a separate
core for testing. As time went by we slowly moved it into the main core to
allow interaction over BGP with other ISP's. From our part we had no
intention to put this out into the consumer market firstly again as you
point out that most consumer router manufacturers have not released a router
with the IPV6 stack.

Secondly there is no reason to do so at this point as NAT is a perfectly
good way of solving the IP shortage problem. In answer to your question
about security and hiding behind NAT well to be honest you cant hide as your
routers real world IP is in the header that goes to the rest of the world
and your ISP has a log of who is leased what IP at anytime. Don't forget the
NAT happens at your router and not on the Internet.

Anyone cant get allocated IPV6 address space right now if you like, you just
have to be a member of a registrar like RIPE. Then fill out what used to be
called a RIPE 141 form and bob your uncle you get the ranges.

To be honest IPV4 will be here for a while so I would not worry to much
about it.