[Wiltshire] Comments wanted on Backup DVD-r disks...

John Larkworthy john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 14:01:58 UTC 2009

Hi,
I do remember reading some time ago an 'expert' having fairly strong vies on the CD-R v DVD-R v DVD+R v CD-RW argument about media storage life and how to backup archives. Unfortunately I can't find the reference but I found this link instead:
http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/initiatives/temp-opmedia-faq.html

This seems to suggest that you should use new discs (less than 5 years old) back up at a modest speed and refresh the copy every 5 years. (Ignore claims of data retention of 25 years).
Someone else seems to suggest a good Japanese firm (TY) for the disks or Verbatum (who are re-badged TY for single layer disks).

The whole argument may become moot when HD-DVD or BluRay take over but then this is the digital life.

Regards,

John.