[Wiltshire] CentOS 5 - VNC Server - Gnome Font Problem - Pango Warning

KJS lists at netzensolutions.com
Wed Nov 18 10:53:53 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

I am getting a strange font problem (see
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NirUcVREM8k/SwPNpSUJ2AI/AAAAAAAAAgo/3eZiO8j2pEg/s640/font-issue.png)
for a user logging in over VNC Server, I am also logged in over VNC
however I am no experiencing any problems... This was the case on CentOS
5.3 and on 5.4 (after upgrade).

I have tried removing the .vnc dir in the users home dir and re running
vncserver so that it recreates it, however the problem persists...

I found this in the VNC logs:

(nautilus:14718): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
(nautilus:14718): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font,
expect ugly output
(nautilus:14718): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called
with bad font, expect ugly output
(nautilus:14718): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called
with bad font, expect ugly output
Introspect error: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 0
could not attach to desktop process

So naturally I attempted what it suggested, again the problem still
persists.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

KJS