[Wiltshire] Anyone near Melksham?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 19:24:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 16:07 +0000, Dianne Reuby wrote:
> > Don't we need to reach all those people who have a PC that's OK for
> > their needs, but that won't run Vista or Win7? They are at risk now
> > XP isn't supported, but probably don't know there's an alternative.
> 2) To start out with a common base line system that we know for sure
> will easily install and run the latest 64 bit version of Ubuntu.
> Anything less is a waste of everybody's time and if it doesn't result
> in a snappy, well performing PC, it does nothing other than discourage
> further participation.

I think your aims are too high and will restrict the possible audience.
That could be fine if it's a small specific audience you seek.  Making
them spend money on new components in order that they can open up,
modify, and understand their PC's innards will make most people just
think they should shell out for hardware that can run Windows 7, e.g. a
new PC from PC World.

I run Ubuntu on a 32-bit PC on my desktop.  It functions just fine and
is snappy.  I very much doubt it could run Vista or Windows 7.  I think
XP users on ageing hardware are users ripe for conversion to Linux.
They value free as in beer, else they'd already have shiny new W7, and
they may be willing to trade a bit of time and effort to learn something
new on their existing hardware.

Cheers,
Ralph.