[Wiltshire] Anyone near Melksham?

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 00:45:43 UTC 2010

Don't forget another user grouping apart from your target Ubuntu/Mepis
users. Those who do not want to/cannot fork out on a new computer but
have been persuaded that accessing their bank account through a Win 98
machine is not recommended.

Distros like puppy linux will run on some old computers very well, is
simple to use, and simple to install. This type of user is only too
happy with just email and web (Ice Weasel) and word processing (Abi
Word); in this case on a 700Mhz, 128MB, 7GB PIII. This is one computer
that will not be going to the tip for a while yet.

On 5 December 2010 18:03, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 21:59 +0000, Sharon wrote:
>> Hi,
>> So ... are you out to promote Linux or uncover the mysteries of the
>> innards of a pc?  Also, why Ubuntu.  I know it is a lot easier to use
>> now, but others come better prepared for a complete newbie.  PCLinuxOS
>> is very popular and SimplyMepis is mentioned is LinuxFormat this month,"
>> If you think Ubuntu is the easiest desktop distro around you've obviously
>> not used this one. It has loads of custom tools and is stuffed with
>> proprietary drivers, codecs and software to give you the smoothest
>> Linux desktop experience possible."
>>
>> Anyone new to Linux doesn't want commandline, they want a straight out
>> of the box experience that is intuitive and similar to windows so it
>> isn't too difficult to adapt to (IMHO).
>>
>> Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here.
>>
>> Sharon
>...  But before anything can happen we need commitment from more than one
> person ...
> Dave

Only to happy to help, when around, but am at present many hours away.
--
Greg Browne
http://digitalanswers.info/