[Wiltshire] Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband

Jake Davies jdavies.thfc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:14:08 UTC 2010

On 16/11/10 21:26, Richard Stearn wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>> Has anybody any experience of trying to get a Vodafone TopUp and Go
>> Mobile Broadband dongle to work on Ubuntu 9.10
>>
>> We have downloaded the software from betavine.net (following on from
>> business.vodafone.com) but appear to have a Dependancy not satisfiable.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
> Not Ubuntu 9.10, however Acer Aspire One + Ubuntu Remix (9.04) worked
> first time.  The only missing bit is info about how much credit is left.
>
> Attempting to update to 9.10 shortly.

vnStat
http://humdi.net/vnstat/

It's also in the repos. Start it with vnstat -u -i eth0 -- or whatever
device you monitor perhaps ppp0
Get it from vnstat --iflist or ifconfig if you're really not sure what
the device is.. :)

Here's a script that for text output of daily dl amounts for a month
usage. Do what you wish -- I save output as log files in ~/.vnstat

#!/bin/bash
vnstat -d > /tmp/$(date +%F-%T)-DLs
vi /tmp/*DLs # replace vi with whatever editor you like

Logs :-)

#!/bin/bash
vnstat -d > /home/username/.vnstat/$(date +%F-%T).log # change directory
according. Make the directory before you do this ;)

Betavine is still in beta, not sure. Quite a good connection manager
that allows user to set maximum data allowance. When you hit it (or
whenever) it will alert you. Once you install it should be under prefs
-> usage. Just input there. I've only used this in Lucid though sorry.
Hope that gives you enough to work with

http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/community/linux

--
DAV09111955