[Wiltshire] Open Street Map

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.me.uk
Sun Aug 28 15:23:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, David Fletcher wrote:

> I'm wondering, does anybody here contribute to this project?

Hi David, yes I have.

> I appear to have managed to place a POI in the database, but not to the
> accuracy I anticipated would be easy to achieve, i.e. by entering into
> the node the coordinates from the GPS receiver.
>
> But what is really annoying me is, I can take a track from my receiver
> and get it to upload, but does it to display on the map? Does it heck!
> There must be further steps that I need to perform to complete the job
> but somehow I just don't "get it".

Yes, there are. Uploading GPX traces just makes them available to
you/others. To actually display new lines on the map you need to use a
tool (for example josm) which creates lines out of the GPX trace, labels
them as roads/streets with names and junctions etc. The trace on its own
doesn't give any of that info.

> I've taken the UK mapping file and put it into my Garmin, and the result
> is very impressive indeed, so I'd really like to be able to make a
> positive contribution by adding some of the footpaths around these parts
> which are not yet mapped.
>
> If anybody can show me on a computer how to complete these steps,
> gratitude will be expressed - probably in the form of beer or other
> beverage.

See also: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing

I'll 'ave a cuppa please ;)

Jess