[Wiltshire] Routers

Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Fri Sep 16 20:14:44 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM, dick <rjd at green38.eclipse.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Hello LUG, Can anybody recommend a reliable wireless router. I
>> am currently having difficulty using an Edimax AR-7284WnA.
> I can recommend the Draytek Vigor range very highly.

My experience with Draytek, is that ... well it depends on
  the series of routers.
I had some bizarre bugs with the vigor2800 series and it
  took AGES to get them to packet-trace and fix it in the
  2.8 firmware, etc.

A friend of mine who operates a large network described
  Draytek as both expensive and 'hard to get information
  out of'.  This matches my experience!

I got the impression, you are asking about an ADSL mode
  and NAT router and a ethernet switch and a wireless
  access point and a DHCPv4 server and a control
  interface, integrated into a single unit.

Be aware of 2 things:-
* Some routers work better for certain conditions of ADSL line
* Wireless, similarly, depends on conditions... Think of
    all those factors of receiver-sensitivity, etc.  Some
    equipment may behave better in some circumstances, etc.

I, personally, use an AR7-based router for ADSL, and
  A WRT54G that adds second subnet / wireless-function.

--Simon