[Wiltshire] Home server OS?

Jake Davies jdavies.thfc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:32:19 UTC 2011

On 19/09/2011 01:13, Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) wrote:
>> I've only had experience with Ubuntu and Arch Linux (my main distro at
>> the mo') -- what'd the best distro for a "home server" be? I'll just
>> have it plugged into the router, so I have little requirements (no
>> wifi/graphics needed), but as a CS student I may want somewhere to serve
>> any ghastly PHP I write, or host other crap, perhaps backup, whatever
>> slavery servers do. I was either thinking Debian stable or Ubuntu
>> server. I only have 'til Thursday to get things up and running
>> Any suggestions ideas/distro/server wise? I'd plan to firstly backup
>> data and then nuke the drive using dban or similar.
> Debian Stable works fine for that sort of thing...
>
> My experience is, well, it depends on the particular version
>    of particular software you are interested in ;-).
>
> packages.debian.org  and  packages.ubuntu.com  can help you there...
>
> Me and a friend use Debian 6.0 on a little machine which
>    runs 6in4 ipv6-gateway, samba filesharing, web server,
>    cups print server, WPA2 wireless access-bridge...
> We use the 'console on serial port' mechanism for
>    maintenance when wanting to see the bootup, or when
>    fiddling with network settings etc.
> Works rather well, actually ;-).
>

> --Simon

Well, I probably opt for Debian 6 stable (unless I hear any other
arguments against), without a GUI, as there's just no point, and I'm on
a little Celeron CPU. Hopefully my experience with Arch and familiar
with apt-based system will make Debian easy.

Keep in mind I won't have physical access to the box. I'll just be using
SSH. It's a great way to keep an older machine still in use, and serve
an important purpose.

--
D. Jake Davies