[Wiltshire] Wiltshire Digest, Vol 123, Issue 1

gordon gordon.s1 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 17 16:37:18 UTC 2012

Hi there folks,
  I would like your help if possible ?.
This is to lobby/email your MP/MEP on our behalf about ACTA.
The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement signed by the UK and going thru
the EU at the moment.

I have sent you this item because I would like your help in persuading
our MEP's to vote NO to this trade agreement.
This is a far reaching piece of legislation with lots of problems for us
the users and other countries too.

My Name Gordon Sim and I am very concerned over the trade agreement that
has been signed in secret by the UK Government.
This is also going thru the EU committees and Parliament at the moment.

The gist of ACTA (Anti-Couterfeiting Trade Agreement) is to try and stop
Music and Film piracy.
BUT, the item is written so badly that it could affect any user
downloading anything, in fact Google has spent some $6M in lobbying due
to this with Youtube.

Also this will become a criminal offence and therefore youngsters and
parents could be faced with a criminal conviction.

On top of this with BT and TalkTalk failing in the EU court over not
being criminalised over users downloads, the cost of Broadband/Internet
use via your ISP will very likely go up due to having to use more and
newer kit for monitoring use, it's storage and vetting of staff.

I have had a reply from my local MP Mr James Gray who appears to be in
favour of this, maybe you can check with your local MP and get their
views on this as it will affect all users ?.

For more uptodate info you could look at www.laquadrature.net.
Rgds Gordon

FOR FURTHER INFO ON THIS SUBJECT:- www.laquadtrature.net .
MEP's FOR THE UK:- http://www.europarl.org.uk/view/en/your_MEPs.html
               or   https://memopol.lqdn.fr/europe/parliament/country/GB/

FOR THE SOUTHWEST we have 6 MEP's.
These are:-
Ashley Fox <ashley at ashleyfoxmep.co.uk>
Julie Girling:-  GIRLING Julie <julie.girling at europarl.europa.eu>
Sir Graham Watson:- "Graham Watson MEP (Casework)"
<casework at grahamwatsonmep.org>
Giles Chichester:-  giles at gileschichestermep.org.uk
Trevor Coleman:-    trevor.colman at th-eu-nit.com
William (The Earl of) Dartmouth:-  wdartmouthmep at aol.com

AND YES, I have emailed them all and have had replies and also spoken to
Sir Graham Watson MEP for approx 20 mins on phone.
Have also had a half hour talk with local MP, Mr James Gray who was
helpful, therefore have put together some further questions for the UK
Government.
My simple initial letter/email to my MEP if you want to use it.

My name is XXXXXXXXXX and I live in North Wiltshire.
As one of our MEP's could you tell me your position on "ACTA" ?.
Are you in favour or not and what are your views about how it will
affect users ?.
Having read most of what "ACTA" is about it causes me a lot of concern
especially as someone who uses the web a lot.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Rgds XXXXXX

These are the suggested questions for your local MP Mr James Gray.

1. What steps did the ACTA group/committee take to ensure that this
    Trade Agreement did not violate any other legal areas ?.
2. What other organisations were consulted on ACTA, BCS, IET,IPO,
    Consumer Groups, Universities, Colleges, Hospitals, Police, OFCOM ?.
3. What exact questions were asked of these groups and what were the