[Wiltshire] Installing Ubuntu

Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Wed Apr 2 20:23:39 UTC 2014

> I am installing Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude laptop, loaded with Windows XP. I have bought a bundle from the Linux Shop, which consists of:
> ·         Linux Mint 16 Mate DVD
> I am probably being thick but what are they all for and is there a sequence to installing them?

They are all different 'distrubutions'.  You only need one, that works
for your hardware and the combination of software you run on-top.

At a guess try Mint 16 Mate DVD  is probably a good choice at
the moment.

Mint 17 will then be a 'long term support' version that comes out
May/June but isn't available yet.

Obviously back up any data you need on machine first =).  Then just
experiment with installing.   Try to come back with clear, coherent,
questions about what you then want to know from there on...

Good luck!

--Simon