[Wiltshire] Internet

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Dec 3 11:55:38 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-12-02 at 15:58 +0000, Mike Lennard via Wiltshire wrote:
> Yes, Ben, I have tried several times but still with a blank screen,
> so nothing is available to do anything. I bought the pre-loaded stick
> from the Linux shop!
> I have just downloaded from the web to a disc, so I am trying that.
> Thanks,
> Mike.

I recently set up 32-bit Mint/XFCE for a friend to rejuvenate an old
Toshiba netbook that had XP on it. I found that only the startup disk
creator on my very similar but newer Toshiba netbook
Linux Mint 18 MATE 64-bit
worked for me. The older version I have on my desktop didn't work for
me.

Part of the reason I use Mint is that the adduser utility has the
--encrypt-home option included which original Ubuntu didn't, last time
I looked. I use this on my laptop.

If you are downloading a DVD image, you need to be aware that to burn
it you need to look through the burner software menus and find the
"Burn Image" option. If you do it in the usual way it simply won't
work.

Dave