[Wiltshire] Any ISP recommendations please?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 10:54:30 UTC 2021

Hi Simon,

> > Which? consistently rank Zen Internet at the top based on their
> > evaluation and their subscribers' feedback.  Andrews & Arnold seem
> > to be a favourite amongst technical people but their price reflects
> > their quality, it seems.
>
> I can +1 both AAISP and Zen as helpful Dual-Stack IPv4+IPv6 ISPs.

I've been mooting changing from PlusNet for a while thus my interest in
ISP recommendations when Dave asked.  I do find Andrews & Arnold a bit
confusing for the non-technical consumer but then that's probably not
the market they're aiming at.

> AAISP will arrange a 'copper pair' (dummy phone line) for A/V DSL,

They use the term ‘copper pair’ a lot.  I've come to understand they
mean the pair of copper wires, ‘tip and ring’, which run from BT's
cabinet to the master socket to implement a phone line.  They don't call
it a phone line because there may not be a phone on it.

> [AAISP]'s 'helpfulness' may be worth the extra money to you, customer
> can access monitoring and test graphs themselves, contact *real* staff
> in IRC or Email, etc....

They sound like the BitFolk of ISPs.  :-)

I do think they suffer from not having a typical ‘bundle’ page for a
customer who's currently with Virgin ADSL, say, with a single
copper-pair wire providing phone and Internet who wants to switch to
AA's VDSL and port the landline phone number to VoIP so there's no voice
going over the copper pair any more.  (I'm aware there is some audio
signal for a quiet-line test, etc.)  It means there are many pages to
keep clicking through for overviews on topics and then detail pages,
with the projected cost having to be totted up by hand.

--
Cheers, Ralph.