[Wolves] viewing ram movies in debian

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 16 00:14:01 2002

Peter Oliver spoo'd forth:
> Also, mplayer doesn't decode Real streams itself, but merely farms them
> out to the libraries shipped with the official RealPlayer.  This is great
> if you happen to prefer mplayer and want something that just works, but
> here mplayer was erroneously recommended due to it's licence.  IIRC
> RealPlayer itself is now open source anyway, it's just the codecs that are
> proprietary.

Ah. I thought that the mplayer people had actually sussed Real decoding;
certainly mplayer knows how to use many codecs by virtue of using the win32
DLLs, but I wasn't aware that Real was handled the same way. Cheers for the
correction.

Aq.

--
"Out of the frying pan and into the very same, identical frying-pan.
 Smegging great."