[Wolves] Beginners distro...

Rich M wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 30 11:03:01 2002

> Aquarius <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org> Re: [Wolves] Beginners distro... wolves@mailman.lug.org.ukReply-To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:54:45 +0100
>
>fizzy spoo'd forth:
>> My girlfriend has decided to show an interest in linux
>> (the first i knew about it was when she bought a copy
>> of 'linux for dummies' :) ) and it has fallen to me to
>> select a distro.
>>
>> What does everyone recon? I am thinking either
>> mandrake, which lots of people start on i believe, or
>> throwing her in at the deep end with debian - but that
>> could well scare her off!
>
>I wouldn't recommend Debian. It's not for new people; more to the
>point, it's not a good way to learn Linux. The Debian distribution has
>this sort of unstated assumption that you know roughly what you're
>doing. I'd start her on Mandrake, myself; she'll find that it helps her
>out initially, and then if later on she finds that instead of helping
>her out it's holding her back, she'll be able to move to Debian and
>reap the benefit of its technical excellence.

I'd agree - I've been using Linux fully for two years now, and have stuck with SuSE Linux - so far. It's only now that I actually feel like trying Debian. Plus SuSE has a great install procedure, plus heaps of apps. I've not tried Mandrake though... Go for something easy to start with - don't scare her all the way back to M$ Window$ :-(

Rich.

>Aq -- see, a rational answer ;)
>
>--
>For your information, some people think I'm very funny
>           -- Joe Hallenbach, "The Last Boy Scout"

A master was explaining the nature of Tao to one of his
novices.

"The Tao is embodied in all software -- regardless of how
insignificant," said the master.
"Is Tao in a hand-held calculator?" asked the novice.
"It is," came the reply.
"Is the Tao in a video game?" continued the novice.
"It is even in a video game," said the master.
"And is the Tao in the DOS for a personal computer?"
The master coughed and shifted his position slightly. "The
lesson is over for today," he said.

Want Great FREE Email?  Get Great FREE Email!  http://www.microsuxx.com

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com