[Wolves] help... my desktop has left me......

James Turner wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 2 00:00:00 2003

On Tuesday 01 Apr 2003 8:53 pm, leo sandhu wrote:
> Hi guys,  I'm not sure what has happened but my gnome desktop seems to have
> cleared itself. gnome still operates but there are no icons visible.
>
> I'm sure that i've changed no settings recently, this little box has been
> quietly humming in the corner by it lonesome for about a week or two
> without fuss.
>
> All I can say is that yes I have re-started X and no I cant think of
> anything I've done which i could reverse in order to fix the situation.
>
> Has anyone else had this occur and if so what could I do about it?
>
> cheers chaps, will see soon
>
> leo

The icons on the desktop are typically provided by nautilus or (in older
versions of GNOME) gmc (GNOME Midnight Commander). It might be that whichever
program it is on your installation either crashes on startup, is configured
not to display icons on the desktop or that the desktop directory
(~/.gnome-desktop) has been wiped. You could test for crashing by trying to
run the programs manually from the command line and watching for messages
(commands "gmc" or "nautilus").