[Wolves] shall i....

Jayne Heger wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 17 22:03:00 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 8:48 pm, Steve Crozier wrote:
> recompile my kernel?
>
> i want to learn something new, and read somewhere that you can get the
> older machines to run better by recompiling to its specific
> processer/hardware. Is this true?

Yes! Yes! and oh Yes!,I've done it a few times in the past on mine and once I
did it on a 486 and it ran noticeabily better.
Admittedly I haven't done it for my SuSE 8 workstation that I use, becasue I
am happy, before I used to have to do it to get Vmware running as there used
to be an issue with SuSE kernels and Vmware but SuSE seem to have sorted that
now, well they must have 'cos it works.

> what about newer hardware? would it be worth a recompile with the stock
> kernel that comes with mandrake 9.1 for the latitiude c600 i have?

hmmm... not sure, but its good to do anyway if you want to learn how to do it,
just make sure you save your existing stock kernel as well, AND don't do what
I did the once.. I somehow forgot to compile in support for Ext2 partitions
and guess what sort of partition I have /boot on? OOOPS!! ;) LOL
<blush>

Jayne