[Wolves] shall i....

Steve Crozier wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 00:00:01 2003

On Thursday 17 Apr 2003 10:24 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:

> Like Jayne has said,

>recompiling a kernel is a good
> thing to do.

> --- Jayne Heger <jayne@sphynx.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> > Yes! Yes! and oh Yes!

thats true :-)

> The different between a
> bloated and slim kernel on a 486 is quite dramatic in
> many cases.

Indeed, i'm sure it must make a difference to the slightly higher spec
machines too..so if we got a load of P166 machines we could make a custom
kernel and use that to install? that would be cool!!

> Compiling a kernel is a pretty simple job - see the
> Kernel HOWTO for instructions (on Debian it is even
> easier ;)

you had to big up debian for a change didn't you? :-)

ste

btw whilst wandering about found quite an interesting site comparing software
for win + linux

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/