[Wolves] Scripting language comparisons

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 00:13:00 2003

Heya,

I reckon this is gonna be a big thread. :)

My view is that these different languages have
different uses unless you go hardcore with one of them
(such as using JavaScript for everything).

PHP / ASP

PHP and ASP are essentially very similar with PHP
being free and ASP not. These languages are mainly
used for web development, database applications etc,
although PHP has application as a shell scripting
language and for writing GUI apps with PHP-GTK. PHP is
a good powerfull language used in the LAMP setup
(Linux Apache MySQL PHP). In this setting PHP offers a
pretty solid platform for web development and I use it
all the time.

ASP is a good language and generally easier to
understand than PHP and offers its own additional
functionality in the same way PHP has its own
additional functionality.

JavaScript

I mainly use Javascript as the glue in applications.
IT is usefull for little bits of dynamic functionality
such as user interface issues or filling a page with
values. The problem though is that it is client side
and hence can be turned off or not work in older or
knackered browsers (such as old versions of
Konqueror). Although some people use it fully for web
development, that seems a bit hackish to me and a
scripting language such as PHP or ASP is better  Or
python as Aq may suggest.

XML

This is something that I think you should consider.
XML is an important chunk in the system for defining
data structures that can be passed between sites. XML
can be used in conjunction with XSL to create
different XML stylesheets for displaying the XML data.
This is all really usefull if you need to share
information from one site to another in a common data
format.

  Jono

--- Matthew Revell <matt@understated.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an article on the comparative advantages
> of the various
> scripting languages that can be used for websites.
> It's aimed at online
> content professionals - website editors, information
> architects, online
> writers etc. - to give them an idea of the languages
> that are available.
>
> The languages/technologies I'm going to cover are:
>
> PHP
> ASP
> Perl
> Python
> JSP
> Coldfusion.
>
> If anyone has any views on these with regard to one
> another, I'd love to
> hear them! I'd give you a shout in the credits :)
>
> Matthew.

=====
Jono Bacon - http://jono.dyndns.org/
KDE Developer - Freelancer - Musician