[Wolves] Scripting language comparisons

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:58:00 2003

>From: Jono Bacon <jonobacon@yahoo.com>
>To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Scripting language comparisons
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:12:23 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Heya,
>
>I reckon this is gonna be a big thread. :)
yup

>My view is that these different languages have
>different uses unless you go hardcore with one of them
>(such as using JavaScript for everything).
>
>PHP / ASP
>
>PHP and ASP are essentially very similar with PHP
>being free and ASP not. These languages are mainly
>used for web development, database applications etc,
>although PHP has application as a shell scripting
>language and for writing GUI apps with PHP-GTK. PHP is
>a good powerfull language used in the LAMP setup
>(Linux Apache MySQL PHP). In this setting PHP offers a
>pretty solid platform for web development and I use it
>all the time.
>
>ASP is a good language and generally easier to
>understand than PHP and offers its own additional
>functionality in the same way PHP has its own
>additional functionality.

gotta disagree with you there jono.  php is easier to understand if you know
at least one good (ie. C based language) asp is only easy if you understand
some of the more braindead VB stuff. $var indeed ;-)

>JavaScript
>
>I mainly use Javascript as the glue in applications.
>IT is usefull for little bits of dynamic functionality
>such as user interface issues or filling a page with
>values. The problem though is that it is client side
>and hence can be turned off or not work in older or
>knackered browsers (such as old versions of
>Konqueror). Although some people use it fully for web
>development, that seems a bit hackish to me and a
>scripting language such as PHP or ASP is better  Or
>python as Aq may suggest.

there used to be some varients of javascript that ran on the server side,
but jsp (being better) must have killed them.  javascript (or more correctly
ecmascript) is used as the basis for flash actionscript and along with
python is easy to embed in applications making them both good choices to
learn.

coldfusion
sucks

sparkes

Worried what your kids see online? Protect them better with MSN 8
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=186&DI=1059