[Wolves] Dual-green Smoothwall

Old Dan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 11:11:00 2003

'lo

Hate to go all, like, on-topic and stuff on y'all but...

I'm running a smoothie box here facing the internet with the 'old'
swerver, running postgres, cyrus IMAP, opengroupware, samba and whatnot
for the network on green.  It's a straight red-green configuration with
the 'net dual-natted, with a portforward thingie going on ports 25 and
80 for the opengroupware/cyrus stuff.

The thing is, what I would like to do is have a red-orange-green setup
with the server on orange.  This is, of course, eminently doable except
for one thing:  I need two green interfaces, because I have both a wired
100baseTX subnet and a wireless subnet going simultaneously, both routed
together through iptables on the server so both subnets can see each
other. Smoothie GPL just won't do that.  Neither, it seems, will the
paid smoothie version, or so I'm led to believe.

Maybe I'm wrong there.

What I'm not sure of is whether to switch to IPCop(if it'll even do it),
pay smoothwall £££ for the corporate version plus the smoothdualgreen or
whatever module (I did read somewhere what the name of it would be,
together with a 'that's hard to do and it's on hold for now as no-one
seems to want it' message) or blatantly nick(*) the iptables/snort setup
of smoothwall and extend it for the multiple interfaces on some sort of
minimal Debian install.  What I *really* don't want to do is have to go
into the nooks and crannies of the existing smoothwall config files and
do it that way, especially since I suspect that when the next security
update from Smoothwall appears it'll probably break any changes I make.

Has anyone come across this?
::peers at crowd::

--
Dan
(*) Aha!  So *that's* what open-source is for!  ;)