[Wolves] ifconfig trouble...

fizzy wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 22:14:00 2003

<backgroundinfo>
Tonight has been spent installing mandrake onto my
fancy new laptop (debian didn't want to partition,
linux from scratch is going on there when it gets an
internet connection :) ) and getting my
gateway/firewall setup.

All was going well, i got debian onto the libretto
(the gateway) by putting the HDD into the posh laptop
and it installed fine.
</backgroundinfo>

I rebooted the cable modem, brought up the libretto,
ifconfig worked, and dhclient picked up an external IP
for eth0, fantastic thought I.

Then i hit trouble, i tried to bring up a second
interface on the same network card (for the internal
network) - savvy has told me this is perfectly
do-able, and eleet has several interfaces running.

When i try to do it i get:

# ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.1 up
SIOCSIFADDR: No Such Device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No Such Device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No Such Device

#

I have checked google, and most people seem to be
saying that it's a problem with the modules for the
NIC, however I have eth0 working fine with a DHCP
lease, can ping google etc etc, so it doesn't make
sense for that to be the problem?

Either way, any help would be much appreciated :)

fizz