[Wolves] My Beowulf Project is now on line ;)

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 15:24:01 2003

>From: Jono Bacon <jonobacon@yahoo.com>
>--- Steve Crozier <crozier@protova.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 Feb 2003 6:27 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > > I think a Blender render farm would be a cool use.
> > :D
> > >

> > aargh! just noticed this - that would be sooo cool!
> > could it be done? we've
> > got 21 486s ready to be put to work - i could bring
> > them to a LUG meetup :-)
>
>This sounds wicked fun!! It would be cool to build a
>big cluster of PCs and play about with some of this.
>
>You may want to check out
>http://projects.blender.org/projects/networkrender/
>for details on the network render; it is still a work
>in progress tool, but we could check it out from the
>CVS. ;)
network rendering for free ;-) whatever next

>Have you guys got any space where you set these
>machines up? It might be cool as a LUG project.
>Incidentally, I am trying to get my hands on a bunch
>of old Uni machines that I may be able to swing your
>way - would you be interested in that?

Space isn't the problem, running 20 486s sucks a lot of juice and will
create a fair dollup of heat just to get the same performance as your laptop
;-)

I agree it would be a cool project from the techy standpoint but the
practicalities mean that those machines may have a more important use that
is better suited to thier spec.

besides if we are going to create a cluster lets get it doing something
different and be first to do something instead of just running the software
that someone else has been working on.

>All of this gives me the incentive to try and find
>somewhere in Wolves to set up a machine room full of
>old machines. Ho hum...

work in progress (tell all soon)

sparkes

http://messenger.msn.co.uk