[linux] [Wolves] Mounting var directory

Ron Wellsted wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 23:10:00 2003

On Tuesday 07 Jan 2003 10:29 pm, Wayne Morris wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> Thanks for that, but my main problem that I can see now is that I have
> nothing in /usr ,thus no usr bin and no 'find'
>
> Going thru my hda's (I have hda1 - hda15), some like the one containing
> the var stuff are mountable, others come up with:
>
> /dev/hda4 No such file or directory
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Can I mount these somehow to reclaim my /usr/bin
>
> Thanks

You will need to identify which one is the /usr filesystem, then mount that on
/mnt, do a mkdir /usr/bin and "cp /mnt/bin/* /usr/bin" which will get you
/usr/bin back. you can then do a "cd /mnt ; find . -depth -print | cpio
-padvm /usr" to copy the rest over.  (Repeat as required for other file
systems)

The /usr directory contains the directories bin, sbin,  include, local and src
so should be resonably easy to spot.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk