[Wolves] Couple of (redhat) problems

Steve Crozier wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 22:05:00 2003

On Sunday 13 Jul 2003 12:28 am, Jono Bacon wrote:

> Linux can run happily on a 486 with a GUI, but you
> would need a lightweight window manager such as the
> ones James and Adam suggested. For advice on getting
> Linux running on low spec hardware, the A2RT guys on
> the list are the people to ask - that is what they do.

theres nothing really to add i think. Like peeps say, turn off services, use a
different window manager. For starters tho i have to say its nice to use a
friendly GUI like KDE or Gnome. James is right if you turn off all the flashy
elements in KDE (spend a bit of time if the settings menu) you can
considerably speed it up.

Does it take an age to do things like move windows, resize, use menus or are
the applications taking forever to start up?

Bear in mind that once somethings open in linux it tends to stay open so often
the wait is worth it :-)

How olds the computer? If the processers very slow, then your best bet is to
use ROX (i trusting Aq on this one) or Icewm. Blackbox is a bit wierd at
first but is by far the fastest thing I've used. Thing is is quite, er,
*minimal* :-)

You said you couldn't get them to work? What happened - there should be rpm
files (which make installing easier) for redhat 9.0 for all of the
windowmanagers.

I reckon i'd follow Adams suggestion, and try Mandrake instead.

best of luck

steve