[Wolves] Server security

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:55:01 2003

Hi Adam,

OK, I have not read the Security HOWTO yet; I was not
aware there was one available, so I am gonna read it
later, but here my (limited knowledge) comments:

 - You are best off running 2.2.x. 2.4.x seems to
still have some minor stability issues, but this is
obviously dependent on your setup.

 - The firewall should keep most of the problems out
and most ports will be blocked.

 - Run as few services as possible, but don't restrict
yourself. Some services you may only need within your
local network, so only punch a hole in the firewall
for the services that you will need externally which
will possibly include 80 (web) and 25 (smtp).

Now is the time that Fizzy steps in and lets us
experience his security knowledge. :)

  Jono

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html
> but any general purpose advice would still be
> welcomed.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ad
>
> =====
> http://www.drinky.org.uk

> Use Linux. Because it's better.

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Web Developer - Musician - Writer - Freelancer