[Wolves] hypothetical encryption question...

Simon Gill wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 12:58:00 2003

> If you use an encrypted file system, and know the key
> for said file system, would you be able to recover
> deleted files, or not?

If bits have been overwritten and become unrecoverable, I'd say no as
you wouldn't be able to correctly apply the reverse function to get the
original value.
=20
> Also, if you change a file, is the original file pre
> changes recoverable?

Assuming you could get the whole file exactly and had the key then yes.
>From what I actually know about disk scraping (postage-stamp time :) you
do usually get a lot of errors in the data where the process wasn't
perfect. And as above that removes your ability to reverse your
encryption.

> Those are the questions going round my head this
> morning :)

And they're going round my head now you bastard.