[Wolves] (no subject)

James Turner wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 6 23:19:00 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 8:34 pm, Matt Warwick wrote:
> > > newbie question, how do I mirc so that I can join you all for a chat?
> > > the exe just won't run.  I am using redhat 8 with kde, gnome is
> > > installed so that can't be the problem.
> >
> > The real expert on irc is Fizzy (wave, Fizz!), who will recommend BitchX
> > as a client. No idea how to install it on RH, though.
>
> Jono will make you use xchat tho...
>
> I could also point that that mIRC is a windows program, hence why you have
> an exe file :)

Indeed. I think it may well be the case that the Windows version of mIRC can
be persuaded to work using the WINE (non-) emulator. Alternatively, native
Linux alternatives can be obtained as described below:

If it isn't already on the "start" menu then you can install xchat by
inserting Red Hat Linux 6.0 CD 2 and typing

mount /mnt/cdrom
rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/xchat-*.rpm

Alternatively, you can choose "System settings", "Packages" from the start
menu to use the graphical installer. In both cases you can run the program by
typing "xchat" from the command line. You may or may not need to log out and
back in again before it appears on the start menu after installation. You can
find out more about xchat from http://www.xchat.org/.

The last "official" Red Hat RPM package (ie built by Red Hat themselves) for
BitchX that I know of dates back to 2001, and can be found at:

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/powertools/
i386/RedHat/RPMS/BitchX-1.0c17-6.i386.rpm

Alternatively, you can download various newer versions for other distros from

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=bitchx

They arn't specifically for Red Hat but stand a good chance of working anyway.
As a further alternative, the latest binaries and source code can be found at
the project's home page at

http://www.bitchx.org/