[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 09:55:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 21:25, Peter Oliver wrote:

> For instance, people seem to think that
> installing software under Windows is somehow easier than under Linux.  I
> don't get this.  Every Windows program installs in its own special way,
> and typically asks the user all kinds of questions that don't pass the
> "Mom test".  An RPM will just go on.

I think the problem is one of perception. The Windows installer will
tell you what it's doing, where things are going and when it's all done
it'll usually bring up a window of the programme's directory. An RPM
just whirrs along - unless you have a dependency issue, which definitely
doesn't pass the mum test - and then you don't know quite where it's put
itself.

> People say that installing Linux is hard, too, but I don't think it's that
> bad.  It's just that you don't compare installing Linux with installing
> Windows (and then heading off to assorted manufacturers' websites in
> search of drivers, etc).  You have to compare it with /not/ installing
> Windows, on the grounds that Windows will most likely already be
> installed.

I hadn't really understood this until I tried installing Gentoo and
Debian :) If you stick with RedHat et al, I reckon installation's often
easier than Windows ... and certainly prettier :)

Matt.